Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Evaluation Time!

I was visiting with a new homeschool mother who was talking about what the No Child Left Behind Law has done to the public school teachers. It has left the teachers so stressed out. They have to teach in such a way that the students do well on the tests. That conversation reminded me of a book we have in the S.V.H.E. library: What Your Child Needs to Know When by Robin Scarlata.

This book was a best-seller in the 1990s. This book answers these questions:
What are the state standards?
What are God's standards?
How were children taught in Bible times?
How do I prepare my goals for the year?
How do I overcome my testing fears?
How do I overcome my child's testing fears?
Are the achievement test scores accurate?

Robin Scarlata points out that academic standards should not be separated from spiritual standards. We need to teach the whole child she says. Parents need to realize what their children really need to know - true wisdom from God's Word. The spiritual is just as important as the academic. Robin Scarlata has a chapter on character evaluation. How can that be evaluated on an achievement test?

This reminds me of the verses in Isaiah 55: 8-9, " For my thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways", says the Lord. "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts."

Last evening we watch a video documentary at the monthly SVHE meeting titled: Home School Dropout: Why the Second Generation is Now Headed for a Spiritual Wasteland. This documentary, featuring the Botkin siblings, explores some of the reasons why second-generation homeschoolers are dropping out of the movement – in other words, they don’t intend to homeschool or actively disciple their own children (and many are dumping Christianity altogether). The labor of their parents means nothing to them. They try to melt back in to mainstream American culture, thinking it will bring them happiness. As one of the Botkin siblings puts it, “They want to be cool.” They presented six sins of the second generation. Here is what they say of their generation:

1. We don’t seek God for ourselves. (Please read that about ten times!!!!!)2. We don’t take our own sin seriously. 3. We are proud. (Homeschoolers may be academically better than average, but “Is beating the average really a standard of success?”) 4. We don’t engage the world. (Isolating ourselves from the world’s problems instead of confronting them.)5. Laziness and complacency. 6. We are bitter instead of grateful.

As I meditate on the conversation I had with the new homeschool mother, Robin Scarlata's book, and the documentary I am reminded of how Job in Job 1: 5 prayed regularly for his children. I am also reminded of Psalm 127, which tells parents how to labor and prosper with the Lord. Other Scriptures that come to my mind include Deuteronomy 6: 4-9. These verses tell parents to love the Lord with all their heart, with all their soul, and with all their strength. Then parents are to teach that love of the Lord to their children.

I know that from my homeschool and life experiences that there is always hope with the Lord. Yes, at times, we as homeschool parents have failed. But we do serve a gracious and merciful God. He is a faithful. He has said that He will never leave us nor forsake us. He is there for us. He is our Restorer and our Redeemer. He can bring good out of bad. I say to the Botkin siblings the story is not finished yet. There is still hope for the second generation homeschoolers!


No comments: